Saturday, June 21, 2014

Memories


It's a beautiful Saturday morning, the first day of summer.  I'm not really sure the difference between spring yesterday and summer today but I will take it and enjoy one beautiful day at a time.


It's been two months since we moved my m other from Carson City Nevada to Sonora.  She is only nine minutes away from where we live and I love that she is so close.  It was always  hard to be close to here when there was only the phone between us.  My fear of not getting to here when she would need me was so frustrating. 


Sitting on the deck this sunny morning with a second cup of coffee and looking out at the hill with all the tree and watching the birds flying back and forth reminds me of how Blessed I am to be able to soak in all the beauty.  How many times I have done this and wished my mother could see this and know how happy and content I am with my life.


So much of my life I have wanted to share with her before that time comes when she is in a better place.  I've come to realize just how much of my mother I don't know but some of that is because she has aged and has rearranged her day to day living because of her stroke and loosing her husband Pat to cancer.


I always knew I wanted to take care of my mother ever since my step dad (Bill)  passed many years ago. I have seven brothers and sisters all from other step parents.  The day my step dad passed and I saw my brother take care of the arrangements for his burial I stayed with my mother, then is when I knew when it came time to take care of her that I would be the  one to see her threw her last years and follow her last wishes.


I  spend time now making sure she understands what her bill are, shopping dr. appts and anything else she needs.  I spend my lunch hours with her, she may not know it but I'm getting to know her again at the same time.  Her short term memory is what she is struggling with like most elderly and even though I have heard it before I pretend it's the first time.
She feels comfortable with my husband and I that we have her best interest at heart.


I love hearing over and over again all the memories she has because most of them are my memories also.  I have always felt that the elderly have so much to teach us through their stories and experiences, no matter how technical our society becomes knowing the history of our elders are so important to how we live today and who we are.


Well enough of memories for now, time to make some for today.



No comments:

Post a Comment