Saturday, July 4, 2015

Memories July 4, 2015...Retirement

Memories
July 4,2015

It's been too long since I have had a chance to write in my blog..... but now as of four days ago I am now retired.  That word RETIRED brings back memories of my grandparents and aunts and uncles.  I never wondered if they worked although I remember my grandmother (Lena) worked in a factory in Oakland California and my grandfather and I picking her up after she was finished for the day.  I really am not sure what kind of factory she worked at or where it was actually in Oakland but I remember a time when she would bring me a Peach and boy was it a big Peach, you don't see those in the grocery stores.  My grandfather (John) must  have retired early in his life, I know he had heart trouble but not sure if that was the reason, I just know he was around a lot. 

I remember thinking I didn't at what age people retired, I thought maybe they had to be really old.  Back then 60 was old, I don't really feel that way any more since I will be 65 soon.

Remembering back to others in my life who retired was my stepdad Bill or Billie as my mother called him.  Bill and my mother were married when I was a year old so I grew up with him as my dad but really thinking he wasn't....at the time I could never understand where I got that feeling but that is another memory for later.
Bill worked for American Can Company in Oakland for many years.  I remember we had one car and my mother would take Bill to work and pile all four of us kids in the car and pick him up at midnight.
People did things like that back then, not so much anymore.
I was married and had given birth to our four sons by the time Bill retired around 1980.  Mom had told me later that the company had given Bill a party for his many years of employment with American Can and when he returned home she thought  he was drunk because he speech was slightly slurred which she accepted because of the party.

Now retirement I had come to know is when you travel, spend more time with friends, family and do what ever pleases you, after all you worked for many years and earned this time in your life.  Many months went by and Bill's speech became worse.  He finally went to the doctor and was diagnosed with ALS.  This would take his life five years later.

Now that I have retired, I'm not sure what it means for me although I do know it's a time that I will enjoy the early mornings, drinking my coffee and working a little bit in my garden.  The last night I worked a dear friend asked me what I was wanted to do during my retirement.  I told her I had given it a lot of thought.  So I told her that I asked myself what makes me happy and it was the same answer I have always  had.....get up early, read my Bible, enjoy my coffee, crochet, watch a movie, work in my garden, work in my craft room which right now needs a lot of work and see my family when ever I want.  I love baking for family and friends and creating art. This also allows me to attend church more and pray for others, what more can I ask for accept to thank God for all the Blessings he has given me.

No comments:

Post a Comment